Wow! I just saw Kite Runner. Totally moved by the film. Hadn’t read the book, but now I want to. And I’ve discovered I really suck at flying kites. After watching that film I realized I know nothing about kites. :-) Thank you so much to everyone who came out to support the DFW Writer’s Workshop Booksigning. It ended up being a really great day.
Author Clover Autry stopped by to buy some books and I discovered her first book just came out with Wild Rose Press. She’s a hoot, kind of shy, but funny when you get to know her. I can’t wait to read her book. I asked her to answer a few questions here so we could get to know her. :-)
1. Where did you get the idea for Upon Eagle’ s Light? I’ve always liked the idea of people being closely attuned to raptors, and being able to share the feeling of flight and crashing into prey. At first I was doing research for a character bonded with a falcon, but when I read about how eagles court each other in the sky in a kind of beautiful wild dance and their fierce loyalty to each other, I knew I had to create my character’s bond with an eagle and it all grew from there.
2. This is your first book, tell us how you feel? I knew it would feel fabulous, but it’s even better than that. And to have people that I’ve never met or didn’t have to bribe tell me that they love Upon Eagle’s Light. Well, it doesn’t get much better. It’s an amazing giddy feeling that as a writer I should be able to put in words, but I just can’t.
3. What do you hope people take away from the book? If people are just able to spend a few hours of enjoyment in my little made-up world and be glad they did, that’s enough. That’s more than enough. But if they also renew an awareness that everything isn’t viewed exactly the same by everyone else, but that each person can have their own individual differing perceptions about the same thing, well, that’s cool too.
4. When does it come out in print? Where can they find it now? It comes out in print on March 3, 2008. Believe me I’m counting down the days. It can be purchased in eformat right now at my publishers The Wild Rose Press or Fictionwise and Coffee Times Romance.
5. Tell us anything about you that might be interesting to readers? Out of all your questions, this is honestly the hardest one to answer. I see myself as a totally average introvert who just happens to do a few quirky unexpected things now and then just to feed my inner rebellious nature then go back to calm and quiet. I will tell you something that is interesting about my cover though. I was fortunate enough to have Kenny Kramer, the same artist who designed the Harley Davidson artwork (you know all the skull and crossbones on the t-shirts), create Upon Eagle’s Light cover. It’s so beautiful, it just astounds me that it’s mine.